Questions About UART Accessibility

Linus Lüssing linus.luessing at web.de
Sat Dec 28 23:03:34 EST 2013

Hi!

I'm currently looking into getting a serial interface to an
ath9k_htc based USB wifi stick working.

I found the very useful wiki entries on wikidevi.com [0][1] which
Oleksij had been suggesting earlier on this mailing list. This is
probably a beginners question, but I'm wondering what "accessible
UART" actually means. Does it mean for instance that the TP-LINK
TL-WN722N, which is not listed in the "accessible UART" section,
doesn't have any PINs for UART, not even directly on the PINs of
the chip? Would I be better off getting my hands on a different
device for development purposes?

I'm especially glancing at the Ubiquiti Networks WiFiStation EXT
[2]. Am I right in assuming that J4 [3] is actually providing a
much easier to access UART, with a lot less/easier soldering work?

Thirdly, adf_os_print() is probably the debug method for sending
some output over UART, right? Are there any other interesting
debugging interfaces you could suggest? There's no interface yet
for directly, easily printing stuff from the firmware into the
dmesg output of the host, is there?

Cheers, Linus

PS: And thanks for all the work you guys have spent to get this
firmware open, can't wait to get my hands on its software and play
a little with it :).

[0]: http://wikidevi.com/wiki/AR7010
[1]: http://wikidevi.com/wiki/AR9271
[2]: http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Ubiquiti_Networks_WiFiStation_EXT