next step

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Sun Apr 28 09:02:28 EDT 2013

On 28 April 2013 05:55, Felix Fietkau <nbd at openwrt.org> wrote:

> I think incrementally pushing things to the host is the wrong approach,
> that'll just make the ath9k_htc driver bigger and cause the firmware API
> to keep changing. I'd prefer to strip the firmware down and add support
> for USB devices to ath9k.

I'm happy to do a big forklift upgrade like that and dump it into the
tree. It'd certainly make it easier to port this stuff to freebsd's
ath driver if I didn't have to hack up the HTC code just to have to
remove it afterwards. (Which, for what it's worth, is why I haven't
bothered bringing up AR7010/AR9271 support yet in FreeBSD.)

But I'd at least like to get one or two firmware drops out to the
firmware tree so people who are on older wireless releases get a
stable firmware image now. If vendors want to maintain stuff, they'll
have a point in the git history to maintain it (ie, whatever that
release branch was) and we can all gleefully ignore it.

That's why I added "look at whether STBC is/isn't working right" the
list now, so it got fixed _before_ any large scale changes. It was
something simple that Eugene/Oleksij cut their teeth on in order to
get more familiar with how things worked. I'm sure there are a few
other quirks that are worth fixing before any big changes. But yes, I
don't really want to see lots of creeping features right now. It'll
just make things overly messy.

Adrian