Version number policy!

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 4 14:27:04 EDT 2013

Hi,

Here's my first take on the version number policy:

https://github.com/qca/open-ath9k-htc-firmware/wiki/VersionPolicy

The summary:

* major version number changes are for firmware API / behaviour
changes that aren't backwards compatible;
* minor version number changes are for firmware API / behaviour
changes that are incremental and default to the old behaviour (eg, new
optional commands);
* the driver should check the minor version number before using any
optional features with that version.

What's TODO:

* Add a new WMI command to get the build number, git string, etc.
* add it as our first optional minor version command :-)

adrian