[PULL] ath11k firmware 20211223

Kalle Valo kvalo at kernel.org
Thu Feb 10 02:45:32 PST 2022

Hi Josh,

Josh Boyer <jwboyer at kernel.org> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 9:03 AM Kalle Valo <kvalo at qca.qualcomm.com> wrote:
>>
>>  WHENCE                           |   14 +-
>>  ath11k/IPQ6018/hw1.0/Notice.txt  |   48 +-
>
> These Notice files seem problematic.  They're clearly well intended,
> but they have language that alludes to an agreement with Atheros and a
> confidential nature to some of the files.  Specifically:
>
> "...your use of these software
> components together with the Qualcomm Atheros software (Qualcomm
> Atheros software hereinafter referred to as “Software”) is
> subject to the terms of your agreement from Qualcomm Atheros."
>
> Nobody has an opportunity to agree to anything with Atheros when they
> consume the files from linux-firmware.  There's also no explicit grant
> of redistribution for any of these files.

So this file we are discussing is the notice.txt file. In the WHENCE
file the actual license for ath11k is:

Licence: Redistributable. See LICENSE.QualcommAtheros_ath10k for details

Does that cover your concerns about redistribution?

I'm still working on your other comment about notice.txt, will get back
on that later.

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches