ath11k: QCN9074: Incompatible board-2.bin for 6GHz

Kalle Valo kvalo at kernel.org
Wed Apr 13 00:06:27 PDT 2022

Sven Eckelmann <sven at narfation.org> writes:

> On Tuesday, 21 December 2021 15:52:03 CET Kalle Valo wrote:
>> I have told the firmware team numerious times that the board file should
>> be backwards compatible as it creates problems for upstream. And I do
>> try to keep everything in ath11k-firmware (and in linux-firmware)
>> backwards compatible, but if they are not please do let me know.
>
> Please check the first message to find such a problem. Ok, it was not about
> board files being really backward compatible - it actually is about the
> firmware not being backward compatible and not working with the board-2.bin/
> BDFs in the same repository.
>
> So if I get
> https://github.com/kvalo/ath11k-firmware/commit/ae4f4f64ed14097dc24a8d686fa60e932cba4868/QCN9074/hw1.0/testing/2.4.0.1.r1/WLAN.HK.2.4.0.1.r1-00019-QCAHKSWPL_SILICONZ-1/board-2.bin
> (extract board_id 162 as board.bin - because nobody seems to initialize the
> board_id in the OTP)
>
> and use it with
>
> https://github.com/kvalo/ath11k-firmware/tree/master/QCN9074/hw1.0/2.5.0.1/WLAN.HK.2.5.0.1-01100-QCAHKSWPL_SILICONZ-1
>
> then it causes the initialization error described in the first mail. And the
> firmware used here is the only non-testing firmware available for QCN9074. And
> the board-2.bin is the only available one from your repository for QCN9074.

Ah, I forgot to mention that everything under "testing" directory is
work-in-progress, and might break backwards compatibility. To keep
things simple I now removed all backwards incompatible files from my
ath11k-firmware. Also now there's a proper board-2.bin for QCN9074,
hopefully that works better. Do let me know if you have any issues.

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches