Can not unload ath11k_pci and load it back

Kalle Valo kvalo at codeaurora.org
Wed Oct 6 23:22:49 PDT 2021

Mark Herbert <mark.herbert42 at gmail.com> writes:

> Dear ath11k team,
>
> The main issue is I can not hibernate and wake up my XPS 13 9310.  If
> I keep module loaded it hibernate. Bu hangs on resume.

Just to avoid confusions with terminology, with hibernate you mean
storing the system state to a disk and completely powering off the
laptop?

I assume hibernation fails because ath11k keeps the firmware running
during suspend and ath11k is not able to recover if the firmware is dead
during resume.

Can you file a bug about this, instructions here:

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/ath11k/bugreport

> If I unload module - it resumes OK but there is no chance to have WIFI
> back without reboot.
>
> If I do rmmod ath11k_pci - it shows errors in dmesg:
>
> [   48.801504] ath11k_pci 0000:72:00.0: link down error during global reset
> [   48.801700] DMAR: DRHD: handling fault status reg 2
> [   48.801709] DMAR: [INTR-REMAP] Request device [0x72:0x00.0] fault
> index 0x60 [fault reason 0x22] Present field in the IRTE entry is
> clear
>
> If I do modprobe immediately it does load module but card will not
> come back again.
>
> In Arch wiki reloading modules was explained as a workaround to
> suspend-resume 9310, but looks like it does not work anymore. Suspend
> to idle works fine - no module unloading needed.

I have an XPS 13 9310 as well but I can't test this right now. Can you
provide more information about the card not getting back after modprobe?
What exact kernel and BIOS versions are you using? What log messages you
get from ath11k? Preferably the exact commands you use and the output
you get from ath11k would help a lot to understand what's happening.

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches