Ordering Dell XPS 13 9310 to test QCA6390

Justin Mazzola Paluska jmp at justinmp.com
Wed Feb 24 17:38:12 EST 2021

On 2/24/21 5:02 PM, Stelian Pop wrote:
> [Sorry for the previous HTML mail...]
>
> Hi Justin,
>
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 04:33:03PM -0500, Justin Mazzola Paluska wrote:
>> On 2/24/21 4:14 AM, Stelian Pop wrote:
>>> There are probably multiple issues, the first of which is the one Justin
>>> reported (unable to go to sleep when ath11k is loaded). I suggest you
>>> look into this BEFORE updating the BIOS...
>> To be clear, s2idle works (and I do get into S0ix states when doing s2idle
>> suspend) for me with the pre-2.0.0 BIOS.
> As you said previously, entering S0ix only works if you 'rfkill block all'
> first before going into s2idle suspend. That was the issue I was referring
> to.

No, the behavior I see on a pre-2.0.0 BIOS is:

s2idle suspend works well (including getting into S0ix states) with no
effort on my part.  I have no idea if s2idle does rfkill by itself, but
all I do is shut the lid and the right thing happens.

Opportunistic S0ix (when the laptop is fully powered up and in use) only
happens if I use rfkill to shut down WiFi and Bluetooth.  If either WiFi
or Bluetooth are on, the laptop stays in power states well above the
lowest-power SOix states.

It sounds like the 2.0.0 BIOS prevents whatever s2idle is doing from
working without an rfkill.
     --Justin