PROBLEM: unable to get QCA6390 to work

Kalle Valo kvalo at codeaurora.org
Tue Nov 3 09:23:58 EST 2020

Kalle Valo <kvalo at codeaurora.org> writes:

> Pavel Procopiuc <pavel.procopiuc at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> After doing some testing I was able to get it running under some
>> specific conditions. I took the v5.9 tag of the main kernel tree and
>> merged in the ath11k-qca6390-bringup-202009250825 tag from the ath
>> tree. I had to fix some trivial conflicts, but the resulting kernel
>> together with the firmware (amss.bin, m3.bin and board-2.bin) gave me
>> a working driver that I was able to use to connect to my AP in both
>> 2,4 and 5GHz.
>>
>> I then tried to copy over the ath11k driver source resulting from that
>> merge on top of the 5.10-rc2 tag. After fixing some API breakage
>> (IEEE80211_TX_CTRL_HW_80211_ENCAP and ieee80211_set_hw_80211_encap) to
>> make it compile I booted into the resulting kernel, but ath11k driver
>> was giving me the same firmware errors I had initially on 5.10-rc2. So
>> it looks like there might be some change in 5.10 that broke the logic.
>
> Interesting, and worrisome. I have not yet tested v5.10-rc releases,
> I'll do that ASAP and try to reproduce your issue. If I see the same
> problem then it should be possible to bisect the issue pretty easily.

For me v5.10-rc2 (no extra patches) was working fine. A bisection would
be a good next step. What I suggest that is that you first test these
three commits from Linus' tree in this order:

fd5ad4d1e980 wcn36xx: Advertise beacon filtering support in bmps
3650b228f83a Linux 5.10-rc1
3cea11cd5e3b Linux 5.10-rc2

Commit fd5ad4d1e980 is based on v5.9-rc6 so try that first. In these
three commits ath11k is practically identical, the only change is a
small bugfix in commit 8431350eee2e ("ath11k: Fix memory leak on error
path").

If commit fd5ad4d1e980 works for you then use that as "good" commit for
git-bisect. And use 3650b228f83a or 3cea11cd5e3b as the "bad" commit,
depending on which one was broken first. Hopefully the bisect would give
us more clues what's happening.

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches