ath11k: QCA6390 on Dell XPS 13 and kernel crashes

Stephen Liang stephenliang7 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 02:37:15 EST 2020

Okay, I installed ath11k-qca6390-bringup (6244933dd) and did notice
lockups occurring. In fact, I found a reproducible way to lock up the
system:

1. Turn off WiFi
2. Reboot system
4. Turn on WiFi

If you perform those steps, the system will lock on
ath11k-qca6390-bringup, dmesg: https://i.imgur.com/0XExack.jpg

On 59c6d02 + revert of 7fef431be9c9, the firmware will crash but the
system will not lock up. dmesg: https://pastebin.com/raw/hH0HyWVx

If you keep WiFi on, i.e. the system is automatically connected to
WiFi on boot, then on the ath11k-qca6390-bringup tag, it randomly
freezes. On 59c6d02, it seems to be fairly stable so long as I do not
turn off/turn on WiFi. I can bisect based on the reproducible steps in
the next couple days if nobody else comes up with something first.