ath11k: QCA6390 on Dell XPS 13 and kernel crashes

Kalle Valo kvalo at codeaurora.org
Wed Dec 9 10:35:09 EST 2020

wi nk <wink at technolu.st> writes:

> So I've managed to stabilise my system now, so either the race is
> gone, or I've done something to win it all the time.  So one of the
> avenues of racing I was chasing at first was in the ath11k driver
> itself.  There are a couple areas where the single/shared IRQ is being
> forcibly toggled in ways that the documentation says are not great
> (and the original patch was trying to avoid).  Fixing those didn't
> seem to have much impact on the stability of things (I've included
> those changes in my patch though).  After the last email I was
> thinking about the MHI side of things a bit more and found a number of
> call sites that my naive grepping had missed that do the same thing,
> but via acquiring a lock at the same time.  I modified all the calls
> to *_lock_irq and *_unlock_irq to the lock/unlock - save/restore
> variants that accept the flags parameter to capture state.  I've now
> booted and loaded the driver 10+ times without a single freeze or
> crash.  I'm not sure all of those modifications are necessary (ie:
> which things are re-entrant in this single interrupt operating mode vs
> which ones can use the simpler lock/unlock mechanisms), so I could use
> some advice/guidance there.
>
> Mitchell - if you want to grab this patch and try it, let me know how
> it goes and I can clean it up for the mailing list:
> https://github.com/w1nk/ath11k-debug/blob/master/one-irq-manage.patch
> (apply to ath11k-qca6390-bringup-202011301608)

Wink, I want to ask more about your the very interesting
one-irq-manage.patch you wrote. Have you seen the "sched: RT throttling
activated" crash with that patch? If yes, how many times, for example 5
out of 10 times or something like that?

Or is it so with one-irq-manage.patch the kernel doesn't crash at all? I
didn't quite understand the situation.

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches