QCA6174 showing terrible performance when connecting via WPA3-SAE

Eric Park me at ericswpark.com
Sat Mar 9 07:08:28 PST 2024

Hello! I have a Samsung NT500R5H-Y53L with the QCA6174 card, and I
noticed I was getting terrible performance (around 20-30 Mbps) compared
to other devices on the network (600-700 Mbps), when running a speedtest.

I tried modifying some settings and discovered that I can get around
500-600 Mbps on the speedtest if I limited the router settings to
WPA2-PSK, but once I set the setting to allow for both WPA2 and WPA3,
the card connects using WPA3-SAE but then has terrible performance as a
result.

Is this a driver bug, or a limitation of the hardware? Is there a way to
force the card to connect over WPA2-PSK?

- Eric