ath10k / WCN3990: firmware-5.bin and wlanmdsp.mbn being out of sync

Dmitry Baryshkov dmitry.baryshkov at linaro.org
Fri Nov 24 19:23:20 PST 2023

Hello,

I wanted to ask your opinion regarding one of the issues we stumbled
upon on the Qualcomm RB1 and RB2 platforms. These platforms use ath10k
snoc (WCN3990) WiFi "card". We noticed the following messages being
spawned on the console, which I traced it to the
ATH10K_FW_FEATURE_SINGLE_CHAN_INFO_PER_CHANNEL feature:

ath10k_snoc c800000.wifi: chan info: invalid frequency 0 (idx 41 out of bounds)

As a reminder, on this platform the wlan firmware and firmware-N.bin
files come separately.
The wlanmdsp.mbn is downloaded by the onboard modem DSP via the
tqftpserv request (which is served from the board-specific folder
qcom/qcm2210). The firmware-N.bin file is loaded by the WiFi driver
itself from the generic folder, ath10k/WCN3990/hw1.0. Current
firmware-5.bin file was provided with the sdm845's wlanmdsp.mbn, which
is older than qcm2210/qrb4210's wlanmdsp.mbn.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to make ath10k driver load
firmware-N.bin file which corresponds to the board-specific
wlanmdsp.mbn.

In particular I'd like to hear your opinion on the following proposal:

Add the  optional property to the board DT, that specifies:
firmware-name = "path/to/wlanmdsp.mbn".  The property, if present,
will be used as an override for the firmware directory. So, while the
ath10k driver will not load wlanmdsp.mbn on its own, it will still
look for the firmware-N files in the specified directory.

--
With best wishes
Dmitry