Questions about QCA6174 firmwares

Kalle Valo kvalo at kernel.org
Wed Apr 5 06:45:45 PDT 2023

Kalle Valo <kvalo at kernel.org> writes:

> (sorry for the delay, this got piled up with other email and I missed it)
>
> Brett Mastbergen <brett.mastbergen at protectli.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 10:56:38AM +0900, Wonsup Yoon wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> If you don't mind, I'd like ask a few questions regarding QCA6174 firmwares.
>>>
>>> 1. I've notice that QCA6174 hw3.0 4.4.1 firmwares have 4 versions
>>> (none, c1, c2, c3). Are there any differences? Which one is newest
>>> or correct?
>
> IIRC c1, c2 and c3 have different features but I can't recall what they
> are. The recommendation is to use the mainline branch 4.4.1 from [1] and
> that's the branch which I update to linux-firmware as well.
>
>>> 2. My QCA6174 seems to have a compatibility issue with a recent
>>> firmware. I've tested theses firmware versions, but only the oldest
>>> one works.
>>>

>> I have observed the same firmware crashes with those versions with my
>> QCA6174 module (JWW6051). Would love to know if
>> RM.4.4.1.c2-00057-QCARMSWP-1 is the correct version to use, or if
>> there is another newer version that I should be using.
>
> It looks like these crashes only certain devices, can you provide more
> info on what devices exactly they happen? The more information the
> better.
>
> And apparently older firmware works but newer crashes? It would help to
> solve the problem if finding out from [1] what's the latest release
> which still works and the earliest release which is broken.

I didn't notice that Peter (CCed) had also reported a similar issue:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/IA0PR20MB5731A6A9BAFB17E886DF2097B0889@IA0PR20MB5731.namprd20.prod.outlook.com/

He reports that WLAN.RM.4.4.1-00132-QCARMSWP-1 is the latest working
release. Can I then assume that WLAN.RM.4.4.1-00140-QCARMSWPZ-1 is the
first broken release? It would be good if everyone can verify these two
releases to make sure that we are looking at the same bug.

The releases are available here:

https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware/tree/master/QCA6174/hw3.0/4.4.1

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/