EAP AP/VLAN: multicast not send to client

Sebastian Gottschall s.gottschall at dd-wrt.com
Tue Feb 2 03:58:45 EST 2021

Am 02.02.2021 um 09:23 schrieb Sven Eckelmann:
> On Tuesday, 2 February 2021 08:04:56 CET Sebastian Gottschall wrote:
>> the standard ath10k firmware für qca988x chipsets does filter vlans.
> Just to be sure that we are talking about the same thing: I am (or actually
> hostapd is) using NL80211_IFTYPE_AP_VLAN here - not 802.1Q.
then it might be something different. i'm not sure at that point. but
consider that AP_VLAN is also used for WDS STA/WDS AP implementations.
so each wds station becomes a individual interface on ap side for
bridging. that might of course have a influence to broadcast/multicast
frames
in addition the 10.4 firmware series has a special wmi flag which is not
used by ath10k, but solved alot of problems for me (in my case with
reauthentication)
WMI_VDEV_DISABLE_4_ADDR_SRC_LRN
this might be unrelated to your issue. but this flag must be set anyway
for proper work. but it isnt by default in all 10.4 firmwares.

>> the only option for you is using the CT firmware by candelatech, which
>> does not suffer from this issue.
> Thanks for the interesting hint - but there is a twist :)
>
> I've initially tried ath10k-ct with the candelatech firmware.
> 5.4.93+2021-01-11-9fe1df7d-1 with 10.4b-ct-4019-fW-13-5ae337bb1 to be more
> precise. And later also switched to the ath10k backport from 5.8.18(-1-5).
> Sorry for forgetting to mention such details in the first mail.
>
> And I've just noticed that I was always testing with the ath10k-ct firmware
> (which is the default in OpenWrt but never with the official one from Kalle's
> ath10k-firmware tree. So I've just switched to QCA4019 hw1.0 10.4-3.6-00140
> from the official tree and the problem went away.
>
> For Ben Greear's firmware, the only workaround which I found until now was to
> set NL80211_ATTR_MULTICAST_TO_UNICAST_ENABLED to 1 to force mac80211 to send
> multicast as unicast.
so if its a pure multicast/unicast issue it could be also a basic rate
issue for ct firmwares.
lets see what ben has to say here.