Configuring QCA9984 in LEDE as a client fails

Stone, Aaron astone at Miltope.com
Fri Sep 15 13:30:35 PDT 2017

Hi,

I'm attempting to get the QCA9984 radio working with the ath10k driver as a client.
I've already been successful getting it running in AP mode.
When I attempt to put it in client mode LEDE shows 0% Radio Wireless is disabled or not associated.

I've already posted a thread on LEDE forum showing some of the logs
https://forum.lede-project.org/t/cant-add-wave2-qca9984-radio-in-client-mode/6649

Through compiling in a few well-placed debug messages I've been able to obtain some additional info.

Fri Jan 30 05:52:53 1970 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'wwan' is disabled
Fri Jan 30 05:52:55 1970 daemon.notice netifd: radio0 (3222): AMS iw phy0 info (null)
Fri Jan 30 05:52:55 1970 daemon.notice netifd: radio0 (3222): AMS iw reg get (null)
Fri Jan 30 05:52:55 1970 daemon.notice netifd: radio0 (3222): AMS iw phy phy0 set antenna_gain 0 (null)
Fri Jan 30 05:52:55 1970 daemon.notice netifd: radio0 (3222): AMS iw phy phy0 set distance 0 (null)
Fri Jan 30 05:52:55 1970 daemon.notice netifd: radio0 (3222): command failed: Not supported (-95)
Fri Jan 30 05:52:55 1970 daemon.notice netifd: radio0 (3222): AMS iw phy phy0 interface add wlan0 type managed (null)
Fri Jan 30 05:52:55 1970 daemon.notice netifd: radio0 (3222): AMS iw wlan0 set power_save off (null)
Fri Jan 30 05:52:58 1970 kern.info kernel: [  858.837891] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

>From there it also calls wpa_supplicant with a failure as well but this wasn't compiled into the off the shelf LEDE.
Currently my best guess is that IW is have a problem with the driver.

I'm a bit new to the ath10K driver but I'm trying to learn as much about it as possible.  I don't know all the steps that
Need to be taken in order to get the radio working in client mode but if anyone can point me in the right direction
It would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Aaron

CONFIDENTIAL NOTE: This e-mail and any attachments may be
confidential and protected by legal privilege. If you are not the
intended recipient, be aware that you are hereby notified that
any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its
contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email
in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the sender
and deleting this copy and the reply from your system.

Thank you for your cooperation.

EXPORT CONTROLLED DOCUMENT
This document may contain information whose export is restricted
by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2751 Et
Seq.) or the International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR)
under the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended, (Title
50, U.S.C., App. 2401, Et. Seq.). Violations to these export laws
are subject to severe criminal penalties

All technical data forwarded by VT Miltope to its suppliers is
EXPORT CONTROLLED. Suppliers shall not disclose technical data in
any form to a Foreign Person (including foreign persons employed
by the Supplier), or export the technical data from the United
States without U.S. Government authority and the written
authorization of VT Miltope.