Kernel panic and boot failures with QCA9377

Leonardo Soares Müller leozinho29_eu at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 6 08:07:06 PDT 2017

Hi

I am having trouble with my Lenovo Ideapad 310-14ISK with a QCA9377,
which occasionally fails when booting the system. Most of the times, the
system hangs on boot with many messages like:

usb 1-7: device descriptor read/64, error -71

One single time, a kernel panic happened too. I have took a photo of the
screen: https://i.imgur.com/dentZtR.jpg

To trigger this bug it's easy, but unpredictable: just shutdown the
system. If the following message (redacted, the MAC address is from the
router) appears when shutting down:

[7087.692313] wlp2s0: failed to remove key (0, xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) from
hardware (-110)

Then on the next boot the system will hang at boot time. Then I keep the
power button pressed until the notebook turn off and then I turn it on
again and then it works. The other alternative is to reboot to Windows
10 and then turn it off.

 From lspci:

02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless
Network Adapter (rev 30)

 From lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0cf3:e360 Atheros Communications, Inc.

 From powertop:

Auto-suspensão para dispositivo USB desconhecido 1-7 (0cf3:e360)

Now I'm using Xubuntu 17.04 with the kernel version 4.10.0-35 (the
latest stable version available now). The atheros firmware is in the
latest version.

Is there something I can do to make the QCA9377 not cause system hangs?
Now it's more like a lottery if it will work or not.

Thank you.