[v2,1/3] ath9k: Support channels in licensed bands

Mathias Kretschmer mathias.kretschmer at fit.fraunhofer.de
Fri Apr 21 05:40:51 PDT 2017

Hi all,

as one of the parties who triggered this patch to be included into the
main line kernel, we do support Simon's or Ben's point of view.

Safeguards against accidental misuse are in place. Various patches are
(have been) already in the open, so if someone wants to be evil, it
can't be prevented.

Also, these patches do not make up new channels out of the blue, they
merely enable channels which are allowed in certain countries under
specific regulations. To me it seems to be the task of the distribution
manager (or manufacturer) to ensure that only hardware/kernel features
are made available that are legal in the given jurisdiction.

The default behavior is to disable those extra channels. If you are
building, i.e. First Responder solutions, you need to ensure that those
guys use the systems incl. the frequency spectrum accordingly.

To be pragmatic and to avoid out-of-tree code maintenance, my vote would
be for integration into mainline.

Best regards,

Mathias

Hence, for