QCA988X firmware crash when sending in monitor mode

Ouri Lipner lipner at equus-tech.com
Tue Nov 8 12:54:21 PST 2016

I’m aware of what the wiki says, but was under the impression this is outdated.
Recent firmware files have a raw mode capability, and there is also code in the driver to handle it.

Adding an AP alongside the monitor vdev is an interesting idea, thanks.
I’ll have to disable beacon send etc...

On 08/11/2016, 01:03, "Michal Kazior" <michal.kazior at tieto.com> wrote:

    On 7 November 2016 at 15:22, Ouri Lipner <lipner at equus-tech.com> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I’m consistently encountering issues with raw wifi packet injection.
    >
    > Sending a raw packet in monitor mode keeps crashing the firmware.
    > This happens consistently with every firmware that supports raw mode.
    > Currently on kernel 4.9-rc2 but older drivers behave the same.
    > Is this an issues with a missing parameter (e.g. in RadioTap) or a real problem with the firmware?

    To the best of my knowledge firmware does not support frame injection
    on monitor vdev. Therefore this is expected. Moreover this limitation
    is mentioned on ath10k wiki:
    https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/ath10k

    > Any ideas?

    You could probably hack up the driver to create and use AP or STA vdev
    alongside monitor vdev to use it's vdev_id for frame injection. I'm
    not aware of anyone trying that out so far though.