Modifying the Interframe Spacing

Gaurang Ramesh Naik gaurang at vt.edu
Wed May 25 19:11:01 PDT 2016

Hello Michal,

I have been trying what you suggested. First, I manually programmed
the value of AIFS in the mac.c file. Then I adjusted the aifs values
in the hostapd.conf file at the AP. I forgot to mention in my last
post (not sure if it is relevant though)- I am using Openwrt at the AP
as well as client.

Now for the testing part: If I set the aifsn for some AC to a large
value (say 200), the aifs must be extremely large (order of 1-2
milliseconds). This is what I expect, but not what I am observing. I
tried using ping with the different tos values. However, for different
tos I get similar ping values. Am I missing something obvious here? Is
ping a correct way to even check this?

One more thing - I was reading the hostapd config file. When you said
I can adjust aifs from the config file, I assume you meant changing
the "tx_queue_data3_aifs" parameter, and that is what I changed. Now,
there is also this parameter "wmm_ac_bk_aifs" which, as per the config
file, is supposed to be "These parameters are sent to WMM clients when
they associate. The parameters will be used by WMM clients for frames
transmitted to the access point". Does this mean the aifs value set
using mac.c is overridden by this hostapd parameter? Or am I
understanding this incorrectly? I tried setting this value to 200 as
well. But again, ping values for different tos were similar.

Thanks for your previous response. Although I did not get the effect I
wanted, but I got to try many new things. Any new suggestions are
appreciated.

Regards,
GN.