Setting per-frame tx rate for frames injected in raw tx mode

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed May 11 09:13:55 PDT 2016

On 05/10/2016 11:41 PM, Raj Joshi wrote:
> Thanks Ben for the info. Sorry about my ignorance; but I do not know
> the link to your kernel tree. Could you kindly share?

Scroll down this page a bit:

http://www.candelatech.com/ath10k-10.1.php

> Let me explain why I need this functionality in first place - I want
> to use a custom rate-adaptation (RA) scheme instead of the default.
> With ath9k, it was straight-ward to implement a custom RA scheme in
> user-space. My user-space daemon gets the packets from an IP
> interface, adds the radiotap header with rate information as per my
> custom RA scheme and then injects the frame into a monitor interface.
> By disabling minstrel-ht in mac80211, I ensure that the rate set in
> the radiotap header is what remains the final tx rate at which the
> frame is transmitted.
>
> Now things seem drastically different if I were to do the same with
> ath10k. Thus I would like to further know:
> 1) Where exactly in the ath10k packet/frame flow does the RA algorithm
> come in picture? Where is it implemented and how can I tweak it to my
> liking? Also is there any documentation about the default RA scheme?
> 2) Or if #1 is not possible, then what changes would be required to
> override the default RA on a per-packet basis at any easily accessible
> level - mac80211 or user-space. From what I discern from the
> description of this commit
> (https://github.com/kvalo/ath/commit/646e76bb5daf4ca38438c69ffb72cccb605f3466),
> it seems that with a different driver-firmware-chipset combination,
> such a thing is possible to do.
>
> Any help is deeply appreciated.

For per-packet rate-ctrl, you would need to be able to specify multiple
rate codes, including rate for 80Mhz, 40Mhz, 20Mhz (and 160Mhz for newer
chips, probably).  For mu-mimo, you need to also specify rates based on
the NSS for a peer as well.

You may also need to specify fall-back codes in case of retransmits.

The firmware has at least partial support for configuring the ratesets
on a per-peer basis.  That would let you do per-peer ratectrl, but not
exactly per-packet rate-ctrl.  And, it would require some firmware
patches or at least re-compilation to allow it to work.

To make decisions on rate-ctrl on the host, you need to know advanced
tx-status reporting.  My firmware can report the tx-rate, but I think
you would also need to know retry count for the various rates to have
a good picture of the RF connection to a specific peer.  This would
require a good bit more work in the firmware.