[Make-wifi-fast] fq_codel_drop vs a udp flood

Roman Yeryomin leroi.lists at gmail.com
Mon May 2 06:47:40 PDT 2016

On 1 May 2016 at 06:41, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> There were a few things on this thread that went by, and I wasn't on
> the ath10k list
>
> (https://www.mail-archive.com/ath10k@lists.infradead.org/msg04461.html)
>
> first up, udp flood...

Are you trying to say that generating 250Mbps and having 250Mbps an
generating, e.g. 700Mbps and having 30Mbps is normal and I should
blame iperf3? Even if before I could get 900Mbps with the same
tools/parameters/hw? Really?

> The size of the local queue has exceeded anything rational, gentle
> tcp-friendly methods have failed, we're out of configured queue space,
>  and as a last ditch move, fq_codel_drop is attempting to reduce the
> backlog via brute force.

So it looks to me that fq_codel is just broken if it needs half of my resources.

> Approaches:
>
> 0) Fix the test
>
> The udp flood test should seek an operating point roughly equal to
> the bandwidth of the link, to where there is near zero queuing delay,
> and nearly 100% utilization.
>
> There are several well known methods for an endpoint to seek
> equilibrium, - filling the pipe and not the queue - notably the ones
> outlined in this:
>
> http://ee.lbl.gov/papers/congavoid.pdf
>
> are a good starting point for further research. :)
>
> Now, a unicast flood test is useful for figuring out how many packets
> can fit in a link (both large and small), and tweaking the cpu (or
> running a box out of memory).
>
> However -
>
> I have seen a lot of udp flood tests that are constructed badly.
>
> Measuring time to *send* X packets without counting the queue length
> in the test is one. This was iperf3 what options, exactly? Running
> locally or via a test client connected via ethernet? (so at local cpu
> speeds, rather than the network ingress speed?)

iperf3 -c <server_ip> -u -b900M -l1472 -R -t600
server_ip is on ethernet side, no NAT, minimal system, client is 3x3 MacBook Pro

Regards,
Roman