Stand-alone ath10k-ct driver.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Jun 20 16:19:33 PDT 2016

On 06/20/2016 04:11 PM, Sebastian Gottschall wrote:
> Am 20.06.2016 um 23:52 schrieb Ben Greear:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I have made an attempt to provide a stand-alone ath10k driver that should compile
>> and work against stock 4.7 kernels.  This should provide better support for CT ath10k
>> firmware without having to apply large numbers of patches.  My 4.7 kernel has only been very lightly tested
>> to date, and the stand-alone driver is only compile tested.  I will update the
>> ath-ct repo often as testing progresses on 4.7.
>>
>> If there are brave souls that want to try it out, I'd appreciate any feedback.
>>
>> https://github.com/greearb/ath-ct
>>
>> See the README.txt for some details.  This will require at least some familiarity
>> with building kernels since I do not have any nice automation to compile against
>> the current running kernel yet, for instance.
>>
> why dont you use compat-wireless / backports as base?
> so you can use your driver in any kernel version

Just no time to deal with backports, and if I have just a stand-alone driver,
then it is easier for folks to use it in whatever kernel they already happen
to be using.  Hopefully some project that is already using a 4.7-ish backport
can compile my driver against that and have it just work, for instance.

Since I'm finding so many regressions when I rebase, and rebasing makes it almost
impossible to bisect between kernels, then maybe it would just be better if
I maintained a parallel drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath10k-ct/, and just applied
patches from ../ath10k/ manually on top of my own stuff.  At least that way
I could bisect regressions....