Any reason to allow MGT TID to be paused by power-save?

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Jun 9 16:45:51 PDT 2016

I'm trying to track down a tricky problem with a Mac book and power save
with my ath10k firmware.

At least part of the issue is that when the Mac sleeps, it goes into power-save
state as far as AP is concerned, and then it simply turns itself off.  When it wakes
up a short time later, it then tries to scan and re-associate.  But, if hostapd
hasn't timed out the station (due to longer idle timer), then STA still is treated
as being in power-save in the firmware.  It appears that this causes mgt-frames (probe responses)
not be sent back out of the firmware, so Mac gives up fairly quickly.

I fixed at least some of this by forcing a power-save wake on
receipt of probe requests and auth requests, but some issues remain
for one reason or another.

One thing that came to mind:  Is it *ever* a good idea to pause a mgt-tid due to
power-save?  A second non-pausable TID also exists in the firmware...maybe all
mgt frames should use that?  But if so, then why have a mgt tid at all?