Dynamic Bandwidth in hw rate control

Gaurang Ramesh Naik gaurang at vt.edu
Wed Jun 8 20:10:34 PDT 2016

Hi,

I needed a small clarification related to dynamic bandwidth setup. The
documentation in wmi.h says " When enabled HW rate control tries
different bandwidths when retransmitting frames."

Does this mean that each packet is first always tried over VHT80 and
if that fails it goes to HT40 and then to HT20? I tried this with one
AP-Sta operating in VHT80 and one AP operating in its first secondary
channel. When I check the rx rate info using "iw dev wlanx station
dump", the bandwidth seems to sometimes alternate between 20 and 80,
but sometimes it stays fixed at 20. Hence, I was wondering what really
happens.

Thanks,
Gaurang.