Can not get 802.11ac with ath10k QCA6147 chip (802.11abgn works)

Michal Kazior michal.kazior at tieto.com
Thu Jan 28 00:52:21 PST 2016

On 28 January 2016 at 09:38, Bartlomiej Grzeskowiak
<bartlomiej.grzeskowiak at gmail.com> wrote:
> I use ath10k driver for our QCA6147 chip for a while now. However I
> have realized that 802.11 mode reported in my system is abgn. iwconfig
> and linkspeed in wpa_cli reports 6 Mbs speed.
> # iwconfig wlan0
> wlan0 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:"NETGEARac5G.lab"
> Mode:Managed Frequency:5.18 GHz Access Point: E4:F4:C6:12:91:08
> Bit Rate=6 Mb/s Tx-Power=30 dBm
> Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off

iwconfig is an ancient tool for driver using wext. All upstream
drivers use nl80211. Use `iw` tool instead, please. You can get
relevant information with:
  iw wlan0 info
  iw wlan0 link
  iw wlan0 station dump

The info/link (if you don't use an ancient `iw` that is) will tell you
the channel and channel width that the device is tuned to so you can
guess if you run 11ac if you see channel width at 80MHz.

The reported tx bitrate is buggy because FW doesn't report it so it
stays at "zero" which is interpreted by the system as 6mbps. This is
mentioned on the wiki:

  https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/ath10k#known_bugslimitations