ath10k driver on Android

Michal Kazior michal.kazior at tieto.com
Mon Jan 11 23:27:58 PST 2016

On 11 January 2016 at 22:13, Gucea Doru <gucea.doru at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, everyone
>
> Because no one answers my question, please let me rephrase it:
>
> Did anyone tested the ath10k driver and QCA6174 chipset on Android
> devices? From my research, all the tests were done on desktop
> platforms (x86) running Linux.
>
> I am asking you this because I have an Android smartphone with 3.10
> kernel [1] running on the QCA6174 WiFi chipset. ath10k support for
> QCA6174 WiFi chipset was added starting with 3.20 kernel. Let's say
> that I'll use a backport for ath10k driver on 3.10.
> After the backport, should I expect that the ath10k will automatically
> detect and use the QCA6174 chipset or are there any other things that
> I should take into consideration (HW problems. firmware problems)?

Depends whether the device is mounted via SDIO or PCI. Only PCI
devices are supported by ath10k.

The other possible problem is there might be extra tinkering required
to boot/start the device. I suspect there might be an extra GPIO or
two for WiFi reset. And then there's Android which may have been
modified by the vendor to somehow suit the proprietary QCA6174 driver
so ath10k might not work out of the box.

Michał