Per radio configuration

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Feb 4 13:04:48 PST 2016

Hello!

I'm considering a case where I have multiple ath10k NICs in
a system, possibly not all the same chipset.

I may want to have one optimized for smaller number of vdevs and more
peers, and another many vdevs, fewer peers, etc.  Some chipsets

Module options are not optimal for this since there is no easy way to
have different options for different NICs.

I'm thinking about making a loadable 'firmware' file that has
text-based config, something like:

# First radio
Device=05:00.0
	vdev_count=8
	peer_count=128
         firmware_name=firmware-5-b.bin
	firmware_ver=5

# Second radio
Device=06:00.0
	vdev_count=4
	peer_count=200
         firmware_name=firmware-2.bin
	firmware_ver=2

# End of file

When parsing, Lines starting with # would be ignored.
Any un-known tokens would be ignored, for backwards/forwards compatibility.

This file would be loaded and parsed before loading other firmware images
so that we can use particular firmware images per radio.  This further lets one
optimize one radio for one thing, one for another.  For instance, if someone
requires IBSS and wants to use stock QCA firmware, they can use the 'main' firmware
for that radio, and the most recent one for another radio that needs to be a stable AP.

In addition to this, we would need to store the vdev combinations
in RAM in the 'ar' struct, so we could get rid of all of the static,
hard-coded members and set the capabilities to match the requested
values.

Any opinions on this?  Something that might be worthwhile for upstream?