ath10k firmware sends probes on DFS channels without radar detection

Jean-Pierre Tosoni jp.tosoni at acksys.fr
Mon Dec 26 03:15:02 PST 2016

After some debugging I think the card firmware does this, probably due to
the lack of precise definition of NO_IR, see below.

> > The distinction between NO_IR and CHAN_RADAR is not very clear to me.
> > NO_IR appears only in the world regulatory domain so it's not relevant
> here.
>
> NO_IR is a combination of not allowing AP, IBSS, or active scanning
> without having somehow been enabled by another device. RADAR has that same
> impact and in addition, requirement for doing radar detection and DFS by a
> master device.

Ah, thanks. But then, NO_IR does not define the way for the "other device"
to enable the local device? So, depending on the interpretation, it can
render the local device unusable. OTOH RADAR defines a way which depends on
the local regulations.

> > I'd say
> >  "the CHAN_RADAR flag should always make the firmware never do IR when
> > probing"
> > ...maybe, except if the channel is the operating channel. (this should
> > exclude unassociated stations)
>
> For most cases, I'd agree that active scanning should not be used on DFS
> channels. That said, unicast Probe Request frame to the current AP while
> associated could be a reasonable exception. In addition, WPS with PBC
> depends on Probe Request frames to allow PBC session overlap detection, so
> there might be sufficient justification to allow Probe Request frame to be
> sent out for a very short duration (couple of seconds) after seeing a
> Beacon frame on the channel for such special cases.

I agree that unicast probes to the current AP should go through. It goes
with my condition "operating channel".

For WPS, I do not know it well, but I guess probes are acceptable if
1) they are not sent repeatedly over a long period of time during
unassociated state,
2) the AP uses CAC.
And here, both seem to be true.

> --