Client station sends probes on DFS channels

Jean-Pierre Tosoni jp.tosoni at acksys.fr
Thu Dec 1 01:13:30 PST 2016

Hi Adrian,

> What's the etsi spec say about once a station hears beacons?

What ETSI EN301893 v1.8.1 [1] says is:

1) ETSI distinguishes "master" devices and "slave" devices
   (section 4.7.1.3)

2) "Slaves shall only operate in a network controlled by (...) a master"
   (section 4.7.1.3)

3) "A slave device shall stop its transmissions on a channel whenever
   instructed by a master device" (section 4.7.1.4)
   => In my understanding, from a 802.11 point of view, this implies that
      The slave obeys the master, hence it is associated with it "somehow".
      Otherwise, the station must be considered as being a master.

4) Channel move time: the slave must stop transmission within *10 seconds*
   After being instructed so (section 4.7.2.5.1 and table D.1)

5) During these 10 seconds, the airtime used must not exceed 1 second.

So,
- either any unrelated AP is considered a master, and when beacons
  cease this should be considered a hint to stop within 10 seconds,
- or the unassociated client is considered a master itself, and
  must obey CAC, NOP and so on.

Hence I think the relevant duration is the "channel move time" in table D.1
which is limited to 10 seconds -- instead of 10 minutes.

Jean-Pierre