Can we ignore frames with invalid BSSID in IBSS mode?

Felix Fietkau nbd at openwrt.org
Wed Sep 30 12:04:42 PDT 2015

On 2015-09-30 20:34, Ben Greear wrote:
> On 09/30/2015 11:30 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
>> On Wed, 2015-09-30 at 10:20 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, it is a transmitter side problem, and A-MSDU on IBSS
>>> is disabled by default in all ath10k firmware versions that I am aware of.
>>
>> Right.
>>
>>> I was hoping there might be a way to allow A-MSDU + IBSS + ath10k
>>> to work in future kernels without applying out-of-tree
>>> kernel hacks.  This would let people with appropriate firmware
>>> enable IBSS + A-MSDU for added performance in cases where they
>>> knew the peer could support the needed work-around.
>>>
>>> I don't think it is worth a lot of effort, but if it were relatively
>>> simple to fix, then maybe it is worth it.
>>>

>> Had it been a receiver-side issue, then it'd seem reasonable to work
>> around it. But it being a transmitter-side issue it doesn't really seem
>> so - *every* possible peer would have to be adjusted, and some might
>> not even be able to get adjusted (e.g. devices that have A-MSDU
>> deaggregation in hardware/firmware) ...
>>
>> So to do that properly you'd have to advertise some sort of quirk
>> vendor IE, and all that, which seems excessive given the limited use.
>
> I was figuring the main users of this would be people rolling out
> IBSS mesh networks and such, and they might have good knowledge of exactly
> what peers will be used.
>
> It is a small enough hack to the stack to just ignore the BSSID for
> adhoc, and since CT firmware related patches are not accepted upstream
> anyway, I guess anyone doing this is likely running custom patches
> already.
I think instead of making a bunch of assumptions about who is going to
use this for what, you should just leave A-MSDU disabled for IBSS.

If you present this as a way to improve performance, users will probably
mindlessly enable it without trying to understand why it wasn't enabled
by default. Afterwards, they will create annoying and hard-to-debug bug
reports for you and other people to waste time on.

- Felix