Anyone seeing tx-credits 'hang'?

Michal Kazior michal.kazior at tieto.com
Fri Jan 9 02:34:08 PST 2015

On 8 January 2015 at 22:24, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
> I am still working on tracking down tx-credits hang, where it appears
> to the driver that firmware does not return tx credits, and the driver
> then gets lots of -11 errors from htc/wmi and will not recover (well,
> once it recovered after hanging for about 45 minutes, for reasons that are totally
> beyond me.  I do not normally wait so long).
>
> I am using a hacked ath10k driver and CT firmware, but I am suspicious that the problem
> is not unique to me, though I probably hit the problem much more often
> due to the types of stress tests I am running.

I don't recall seeing it recently.

> I have implemented a keep-alive between my driver and CT firmware,
> and firmware will assert if it does not get a message within
> about 10 seconds.  This is a wmi-message, so if we hang due to credits,
> the firmware will assert and dump a nice crash log (and host can recover).

FYI the default time mgmt tx can be stuck is 10 seconds (vide the
tx-credit starvation issue due to hostapd's inactivity measures).

> One crash I looked at closely appears to show the firmware thinking it
> has returned all credits, but driver never received them.  What is more,
> it seems that the driver thought it sent one additional wmi command
> that the firmware did not receive in the wmi message handling code.

Hmm.. A couple of ideas:
 a) lost interrupt
 b) silently dropped event buffer (in fw, e.g. due to unforseen lack
of resources)
 c) memory barrier / ordering issue (delivered/submitted buffer was a
mess - I don't know if you're checking the buffer in/out count or
analyzed all the way down to copy engine)

You could try adding a few extra mb() (e.g. before copy engine ring
indexes are updated) for (c), at least in ath10k.

You could try changing _service_any() to ignore copy engine summary
mask and iterate i=0..CE_COUNT-1 and try polling htc-wmi rx pipe (or
just simply all of them :P) with ath10k_hif_send_complete_check().

Michal