Question on setting tx-power in ath10k.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Feb 25 13:15:53 PST 2015

On 02/25/2015 11:55 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Yeah I remember this stuff. ath9k did the same thing too; it subtracts
> TX power based on 2-chain and 3-chain; assuming that the max transmit
> power in the EEPROM is actually the 3-chain value so it can get the
> per-chain transmit power.
>
> Thing is, whenever I actually looked at the output on a spectrum
> analyser, the target power differed from what the card was rated at by
> exactly 3 and 5 dBm respectively. Grr.
>
> In FreeBSD I look at the number of configured chains for that TX
> attempt and set the TX power cap appropriately per-packet. Grr.

We have a spectrum analyzer now, but I'm not sure if I can even force
the NIC to run at a specific HT or VHT rate, so not so sure how to
test the changes properly.

Either way, even if I adjust this as I am trying to do now
(on a per-rate basis based on number of chains that rate uses)
the min/max power restraints stay in place, so it should still
be fine as far as regulations are concerned.

Thanks for the info.

Ben