Bugs in wake-queue logic.

Michal Kazior michal.kazior at tieto.com
Sat Dec 5 20:32:09 PST 2015

On 05/12/2015, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
> On 12/05/2015 08:42 AM, Michal Kazior wrote:

>>> What about the comments about tx-locking?  Does that only apply to
>>> qca6174?
>>
>> The code applies the logic to all chips but only qca6174 generates the
>> events that can stop queues per vif. The qca6174 doesn't have any
>> iface combinations with 16 vdevs so the logic works fine in all cases
>> as far as upstream is concerned.
>
> So, for non qca6174, do we even need more than one tx-queue?
>
>>> For host queue control, are firmware events really needed, or can we
>>> just keep track of buffered pkts per peer and/or per vdev and use
>>> that on the host?
>>
>> It's possible. However you probably have your 16+ vdev setup in mind.
>> This in itself won't work as-is because of the modulo/overlap.
>>
>> You'll probably need to add some kind of mechanism to avoid waking up
>> a queue when multiple vdevs share one.
>
> Seems like fake hardware tx-queues might not be the way to do this...upper
> levels
> could make the decisions needed on a per-peer (and maybe per-tid?) basis
> based on the
> peer's tx-rate (my firmware can report this properly).  If the firmware
> ever exhausts it's tx-buffers, stopping all TX is as good as anything
> else I think...

There's not enough data for upper layers to do this in multi-channel
case. It's not just about rate control. It's also about channel
scheduling which isn't known to the driver. Relying on HTT chan-change
(assuming it even works on wmi-tlv firmware) won't be straightforward
because it's an after-the-fact which is a problem because firmware
takes care of powersaving which itself is considered for channel
scheduling in firmware.

If you switch channel and clog up all HTT tx descriptors with traffic
to a vdev which sits on a different channel you'll just waste time.
All in all you'd end up with suboptimal performance.

Michal