Rate ctrl problem with 2x2 station.

Michal Kazior michal.kazior at tieto.com
Tue Sep 23 01:43:54 PDT 2014

On 23 September 2014 02:20, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
> While testing the previously posted patches that fix up the
> transmit rate for 3x3 NICs configured for 2x2 chainmask, I
> noticed that an ath10k configured as 3x3 AP will use only
> 1x1 rates when transmitting to a 2x2 station.
>
> From debugging so far, it appears the root cause is that
> the method ath10k_peer_assoc_h_ht in mac.c is passed an
> sta with rx_nss set to 3, when in fact the station *should*
> be showing up as 2x2.
>
> Possibly station system is still messed up some how...

Am I understanding correctly that the 2x2 station is just a 3x3 ath10k
device with "tx/rx_chainmask" being set to 0x3? If so then rx_nss
being 3 is okay because setting chainmasks does not affect advertised
capabilities and association sequences remain unaffected.

The problem might be  the hw rate control is unable to deal with the
strange chainmask setup. Did you try 10.2? I've been told it contains
some rate control improvements.