Firmware crash w/ 10.2 diagnosis?

Michal Kazior michal.kazior at tieto.com
Tue Sep 9 05:48:13 PDT 2014

On 9 September 2014 14:08, Kalle Valo <kvalo at qca.qualcomm.com> wrote:
> Denton Gentry <denton.gentry at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The ath10k is operating in AP mode.
>>
>> Its using a base ath10k driver from a few months ago:
>>
>>        git fetch git://github.com/kvalo/ath.git ath-next
>>        git checkout v3.15-rc1-237-gd9bc4b9
>
> What is the kernel version? Do you use backports?
>
>> The data from the firmware shows something about a monitor vdev being
>> removed? hostapd does create a monitor interface, though I don't see
>> an indication that it was being removed at the time of the crash.
>> hostapd had exited and restarted well before though, is it possible
>> that removal of a monitor interface some time ago might be
>> contributing?
>
> So are you still using the old cooked monitor interface for management
> frames? I strongly recommend switching to the new way of transmitting
> and receiving management frames through nl80211 as then hostapd will not
> a create monitor interface. This is what most people use and is most
> extensively tested.

I don't think he's using cooked monitor. Instead his AP interface was
in a bridge which means it was promiscuous which means ath10k used
monitor vdev. That's perfectly normal.

Warnings I was concerned about are actually a result of recovery
procedure itself and do not seem to be related to the crash root
cause.