Timeout Issues

Pushpal Sidhu psidhu at gateworks.com
Tue Sep 2 11:51:53 PDT 2014

Sorry for the amazingly late reply, other things crept into my schedule.

Michal Kazior <michal.kazior at tieto.com> writes:
>Note the:
>
>[    7.704403] ath10k: failed to receive control response completion, polling..
>
>This suggests interrupts aren't delivered to the host system for some
>reason although firmware is operational (control response itself was
>delivered to the host).
>
>This particular warning was introduced as part of a workaround for a
>virtual machine PCI passthrough (with the suspicion iomem writes
>aren't propagated properly in the VM). However only control response
>was the subject of the missing interrupt. In your case subsequent
>communication is missing interrupts.
>
>Can you check if the interrupt line is shared with any other devices, please:
>
> lspci -vv | grep -e '..:..\..' -e IRQ
>  cat /proc/interrupts
>

>> This causes the card to not be registered, and thus is unusable (there
>>is no wlanX)
>>
>> I am able to use the Intel 7260 card (another AC card) with their
>> firmware binary blob, so I don't believe this is a hardware
>> configuration issue with mini-pcie.
>
>I assume you have only 1 mini-pcie slot on the board and you've used
>it when testing both intel and ath devices or does it have more than 1
>slot and you've used different slots when testing both devices?
>

>Michał

The board has 9 port PCI-e switch behind the RC. I did, however, use
the same slot. I found that there was always 1 interrupt, but never
any more. This made me think a bit more and found that if I set
PCI_MSI=n in the kernel config, the problem 'goes away' and I see
increasing number of interrupts and do not see anymore of the '-110'
error messages. This issue, for me, is solved as I don't necessary
need mixed signaled interrupts, but I'm unsure of why this is
happening and what is different about the Intel 7260HMW card from the
Atheros cards or in their respective drivers.

- Pushpal