openwrt ath10k / MacBook Pro Retina 802.11ac not connecting

Kalle Valo kvalo at qca.qualcomm.com
Wed May 14 13:39:57 PDT 2014

Hi again,

Kalle Valo <kvalo at qca.qualcomm.com> writes:

> while oneq <while1eq1 at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Im currently using lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA988X/hw2.0/  on a TP-Link
>> Archer C7 v2.0 / OpenWRT [BARRIER BREAKER (Bleeding Edge, r40749)]
>>
>> Package: kmod-ath10k
>> Version: 3.10.36+2014-03-31-1
>> Depends: kernel (= 3.10.36-1-6548302841f6df0132fbc6960fa209fb), kmod-ath
>> Architecture: ar71xx
>>

> [...]
>
>>  and am connecting via
>>
>> a MacBook Pro Retina:
>>   Model Name: MacBook Pro
>>   Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3
>

> [...]
>
>> And am unable to get connected to the access point at all, All
>> wireless security settings are disabled at the moment.
>>
>> Any assistance on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
>
> With the information you provided it's difficult to say what's the
> problem. Here are some tips to get forward:
>
> * Try disabling all possible features. Setup AP to use simple 11a mode
>   with 20 MHz channels without aggregation etc and try to narrow down
>   what is causing the problem.
>
> * Try with static IPs.
>
> * Try different channels.
>
> * If you have a wireless sniffer, take 802.11 airlog with that and post
>   it somewhere.
>
> * Provide logs from AP, especially dmesg and hostapd debug logs are
>   useful.
>
> Please let me know if you need more help with the above.

I just noticed that Mark had also reported problems with the same
MacBook. I had even replied to him, but I guess I forgot it entirely due
to jetlag :)

But anyways, it would awesome if you could provide more info so that we
can find the bug causing the problem. And if you have any questions,
please ask. We have lots of people here who can help.