Receiving your own wifi beacons

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at gmail.com
Tue May 6 16:42:23 PDT 2014

Hi all,

We're currently investigating a problem where the ath10k AP will
seemingly stop sending out beacons, with no other obvious symptoms
(hostapd is still working fine).  There's not much I can report
because, of course, no symptoms.

We would like to detect this situation automatically by watching for
outgoing beacons, but we've noticed that when we create a monitor
interface, we can see all the beacons *except* ones generated by the
local AP.  This seems to also be true with ath9k, so it may not be an
ath10k-specific problem, but we'd like some way to see them going out
(at the expense of some wasted CPU, of course).

Is there any magic incantation that can un-hide the beacons?

Thanks,

Avery