Warning message in bridge mode

Bruno Antunes baantunes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 14:47:43 PDT 2014

Hi,

No dia 23/06/2014, às 22:33, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> escreveu:

> On 06/23/2014 02:03 AM, Vu Hai NGUYEN wrote:
>> I get this warning message when doing my test with iperf in my AP:
>> br0: received packet on wlan0.sta1 with own address as source address

That message is common in other scenarios.
I also have this messages when in layer 2 mesh ( batman-adv)

>> My STA is set up in bridge network (promiscuous mode) and using the firmware of CT.
>> http://www.candelatech.com/downloads/firmware-2-ct-community-6.bin
>> When my STA is associated successfully with my AP, the interface "wlan0.sta1" is created
>> in my AP. And I have this config:
>> br0              Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 04:F0:21:0E:38:C6
>> eth0            Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:02:0F:C5:05
>> wlan0          Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 04:F0:21:0E:38:C6
>> wlan0.sta1  Link encap:Ethernet     HWaddr 04:F0:21:0E:38:C6
>>
>> I think that the warning message is because my interface br0 and wlan0.sta1 have the same
>> mac address. And it decrease the performance of the rate (I get higher rate with iperf when my
>> STA is set up in router network (not enter promiscuous mode). I can not do the test with the
>> official firmware cause it crashed in promiscuous mode.
>> So I wonder that if anyone get the same issue like me?
>
> Why do you have the same MAC for wlan0 and wlan0.sta1?  What are those interfaces
> exactly?  It is normal for the bridge to have same MAC as one of the interfaces
> it contains.

I think he is using WDS mode.
For each station connected to the AP a new sub interface is added: wlan0.sta1, wlan0.sta2 ...
All sub interfaces share the MAC address.
At least that's what happens with ath9k.

>> I can use it for my STA in promiscuous mode and connect to my AP on channels DFS,
>> Sometimes I get this message "wlan0: received packet with  own address as source address".
>> I'm not sure that it is your firmware issue or because of my network configuration.
>> I'll try to figure it out and report to you if it relates to your firmware.
>
> I doubt my firmware has any impact on this particular problem.
Me too.

Bruno