fetching calibration data from flash

Kalle Valo kvalo at qca.qualcomm.com
Mon Jun 16 05:24:48 PDT 2014

Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> writes:

> On 06/11/2014 01:38 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
>> Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> writes:
>>
>>> Another nice feature would be to allow configuring the number of
>>> vdevs, peers, etc per NIC.  That way, you could have one NIC
>>> tuned to be one big AP with lots of peers, and a second could
>>> be several small APs with fewer peers and some stations, etc.
>>>
>>> Maybe this could be a separate file, or maybe it would be worth
>>> adding this to a TLV type file with cal.bin being part of the
>>> data?
>>
>> So basically you want a configuration (".ini") file for ath10k, right? I
>> have seen those in out-of-tree drivers, but not in upstream drivers.
>>
>> If I'm guessing right what these configuration items would do in ath10k,
>> I think instead of static configuration it would be much more flexible
>> to have this stuff configurable dynamically. But how, that's the
>> question. A sysfs file to set different profiles (or modes) was the
>> first one which came to my mind, but that's ugly.
>
> You also need this info before you do the initial firmware configuration,
> otherwise you are going to have to restart firmware again later to apply
> the new config (and advertise different interface combinations up the
> stack, etc).

Ok.

> Maybe a kernel module option to point to a file-name would work
> (with some way to give different options to different nics in the
> same system).

Over years I have seen these .ini suggestions few times and I never have
been very fund of the idea. For example, that would mean yet another
layer of configuration and more things to support. I would prefer to
find a more automatic way of doing the same.

And I'm not sure if kernel maintainers would even accept this.