Malformed AddBA Response prevents clients from associating?

Denton Gentry denton.gentry at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 09:44:49 PDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 11:59 PM, Kalle Valo <kvalo at qca.qualcomm.com> wrote:
> Denton Gentry <denton.gentry at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> [   18.047597] ath10k: qca988x hw2.0 (0x4100016c, 0x043202ff) fw
>> 10.1.467.2-1 api 2 htt 2.1
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 7:22 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> Which firmware build are you using?
>
> (Standard whining: top posting is annoying.)
>
> Denton, any chance you could test with 10.2 firmware and see if the bug
> happens on that firmware as well? I don't know what version of ath10k
> you are using, but I think it should be enough to just to have this
> patch:
>
> https://github.com/kvalo/ath/commit/24c88f7807fb7c723690474d0a5d3441468185d9
>
> And then take the firmware from here:
>
> https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware/tree/master/10.2
>
> Do not rename the firmware to firmware-2.bin or anything like that. To
> avoid problems keep the name firmware-3.bin.
>
> --
> Kalle Valo

I built an image with the 10.2 firmware and left it running with two
clients disassociating and reassociating every few seconds. After 8
hours I stopped it, with no failures detected.

I restored the 10.1 firmware, and it failed in 9 minutes. There is a
substantial amount of randomness, but it generally happens within 2
hours.

So whatever this issue is, firmware 10.2 does appear to resolve it or
at least make it way less likely to happen.