What to do about hung firmware?

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Tue Nov 5 13:51:55 EST 2013

I'm seeing cases where it appears the firmware just gets
stuck and will not answer any WMI requests.

ath10k just patiently keeps timing out WMI commands,
(while holding locks, and making the whole system run slow).

Should we maybe keep a last-msg-from firmware time stamp
and just whack the firmware if we detect it hung?  In addition
to this, we could add some 'ping' message that will get sent
periodically to the firmware to make sure it is alive.
We should be able to do this with existing WMI API, just
need to pick a message to send that expects some response.