[RFC 1/3] nl/cfg80211: add chan_time for scan request

Michal Kazior michal.kazior at tieto.com
Thu Aug 1 05:14:07 EDT 2013

On 1 August 2013 09:40, Johannes Berg <johannes at sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-07-29 at 10:39 +0200, Michal Kazior wrote:
>
>> + * @NL80211_ATTR_SCAN_CHAN_TIME: Specifies how many msec should a driver spend
>> + *   on each channel during scanning. This is optional and the default is
>> + *   leave the decision up to the driver. This setting may, but preferrably
>
> typo: preferably :)
>
>> + *   shouldn't, be ignored by driver.
>
> This seems a bit iffy - you don't differentiate between active/passive
> scans?

Is there a reason this should be differentiated?

> Also maybe there should be a bit saying "I support scan timing" or even
> the min/max times?

Sounds good. I can add it.

> This also interferes a bit with some other scan optimisations that could
> be done at a low firmware level, so I think we should be careful and
> actually say that this is really more intended for measurement use cases
> and not for normal scans?
>
> Or maybe we should have a separate measurement command with similar
> semantics? This all doesn't seem very clear to me yet :)

Motivation behind this patchset is to simplify ACS implementation and
depend on scan. This also allows easier fallback from survey-based ACS
to BSS-based one.

Other use cases are a side-effect so perhaps clarifying the intent in
the docs is enough.

Pozdrawiam / Best regards,
Michał Kazior.