No --checkpatch documentation; change in default behavior

Keller, Jacob E jacob.e.keller at intel.com
Tue Sep 9 15:43:52 PDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-09-09 at 12:49 -0700, Brian Norris wrote:
> I noticed that my aiaiai instances are no longer running checkpatch.pl
> after I pulled in the latest from your git tree. It seems that this made
> checkpatch.pl optional now, and off by default:
>
>     commit 33c41203f0c98ad5eca64d413c75c9cda012d6d1
>     Date:   Thu Apr 17 16:27:35 2014 -0700
>     aiaiai-test-patchset: make checkpatch optional like other checkers
>
> Also, --checkpatch is not mentioned in the help text.
>
> Can you at least add the appropriate option documentation in the help
> text? I would also consider not changing the default behavior like that,
> but since your user base is probably not very wide (mostly internal at
> Intel?), perhaps this sort of change just deserves a release note (I
> realize there is no "release" for this feature yet).
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Yes sorry about that. It was intended to bring the checker in line with
other checks.

I can submit a patch to update documentation.

At some point there is some idea of moving the configuration file
support into the base test-patchset, and then we would be able to
support using the configuration file instead :)

Regards,
Jake